Planning & Building Department
Planning & Building Department Customer Service
- If you are a Village property owner, please direct inquiries, complaints, or applications directly to Village Hall by calling 585-924-3311, or email the Village Clerk, or visit Village Hall at 60 East Main Street between 8:30 A.M. and 4:30 P.M.
- Inspections may be scheduled by calling the Town Building Department Secretary at 585-742-5035 or the Building Department. Requests for inspections must be received by 3 P.M. for next day appointments.
- If you wish to meet with an Inspector or Code Enforcement Officer, please schedule an appointment.
- Applications for Town properties may be submitted or permits picked up between the hours of 8:30 A.M. and 4:00 P.M.
It is our intention to provide the best customer service possible. If you have any suggestions on how we can improve our service or would like to express concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 585-742-5035 or email the Building Department. Your input is valued and appreciated.
The Planning and Building Department provides the services of code enforcement, building inspection, fire marshal, and serves as the liaison to the planning, zoning, and conservation boards. Our professional staff stands ready to assist you with local and state regulations regarding land development, permits, and fire safety.
Please take a few minutes to browse the information provided here on our web page. We have included many helpful links to assist you with understanding what our department can and can’t do. We wish we could help everyone but occasionally, a concern reaches our department, which we just do not have the jurisdictional authority to regulate. When this happens we do attempt to refer the concern to the appropriate agency.
Thank you for visiting! If you have any questions we haven’t been able to answer here on our website, please do not hesitate to call our office.
- Where do I go to get a building permit?
There are two municipal code enforcement agencies – the village and the town. The location of the site determines where you should go for information and permits. If you live in the Town outside the Village, contact the Town Building Department at 742-5035. If you live in the Village, contact the Village Hall at 924-3311.
- When do I need a building permit?
Always contact the appropriate town or village agency to determine if you need a permit before you begin work. You are required to obtain permits for new construction, remodeling, sheds, pools, decks, pole barns, and fences; and in some instances driveway construction.
- What must I take into consideration when determining location of any construction projects?
Check with the appropriate Building Department to determine the zoning restrictions that apply to your specific site. All properties have setback requirements which vary depending on the zoning for the parcel.
- How do I find out what my property is zoned?
Check with the appropriate code enforcement agency, Village or Town. If you live in the Town but outside the Village, contact the Planning and Building office at 742-5035 or the Assessment office at 742-5010. Zoning maps are available in the Town Hall for review also. Properties within the Village limits, call the Village Hall at 585-924-3311.
- What contractor should I use?
You have the right to use any contractor or person you wish. Whoever does the work must be able to provide the proper insurance paperwork to complete the application. You should always ask for proof the contractor has the appropriate insurance.
- What types of inspections are required?
All permits list the required inspections. Any additional requirements will be reviewed at the time you receive your permit or as they become evident in the field during the construction process.
- A permit is good for how long?
Your permit is good for up to 1 year. Construction must start within six (6) months of issuance of a building permit.
- Where do I start if I want to subdivide land ?
Contact the Planning & Zoning offices at the Town Hall, 85 East Main Street. The phone number is 585-742-5040.