Planning & Zoning Application Process
Due to the number of submissions, please contact the Planning Department to determine the next available agenda. You may contact them via Planning Department Email or by calling 585-742-5040.
Planning Board & Zoning Board Applications for Town Parcels
Applications are accepted and reviewed by the Secretaries for the Town Planning Board and Zoning Board of Appeals.
Information about county planning can be found on the Ontario County website.
The Planning Board
The board reviews site plans, subdivision plans, and special use permit applications and authorizes clearing and grading activities. The review process may also require the board to conduct an environmental review under the SEQR (State Environmental Review Act) guidelines. Additional responsibilities and duties include:
- Establishes design standards and procedures
- Guides future growth and development in accordance with established standards and sound planning principles
- Provides for open spaces
- Provides the most beneficial relationship between land and buildings and the circulation of traffic
The Zoning Board of Appeals
- Grants variances when, in the board's opinion, public safety, convenience, and welfare will be served in doing so
- Reviews applications for relief from any order, requirement, decision, or determination made by the code enforcement officer
- Where do I go to get a building permit?
There are two municipal code enforcement agencies – the village and the town. The location of the site determines where you should go for information and permits. If you live in the Town outside the Village, contact the Town Building Department at 742-5035. If you live in the Village, contact the Village Hall at 924-3311.
- When do I need a building permit?
Always contact the appropriate town or village agency to determine if you need a permit before you begin work. You are required to obtain permits for new construction, remodeling, sheds, pools, decks, pole barns, and fences; and in some instances driveway construction.
- What must I take into consideration when determining location of any construction projects?
Check with the appropriate Building Department to determine the zoning restrictions that apply to your specific site. All properties have setback requirements which vary depending on the zoning for the parcel.
- How do I find out what my property is zoned?
Check with the appropriate code enforcement agency, Village or Town. If you live in the Town but outside the Village, contact the Planning and Building office at 742-5035 or the Assessment office at 742-5010. Zoning maps are available in the Town Hall for review also. Properties within the Village limits, call the Village Hall at 585-924-3311.
- What contractor should I use?
You have the right to use any contractor or person you wish. Whoever does the work must be able to provide the proper insurance paperwork to complete the application. You should always ask for proof the contractor has the appropriate insurance.
- What types of inspections are required?
All permits list the required inspections. Any additional requirements will be reviewed at the time you receive your permit or as they become evident in the field during the construction process.
- A permit is good for how long?
Your permit is good for up to 1 year. Construction must start within six (6) months of issuance of a building permit.
- Where do I start if I want to subdivide land ?
Contact the Planning & Zoning offices at the Town Hall, 85 East Main Street. The phone number is 585-742-5040.